Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mothers

I was sitting at mosque a few days ago and something interesting caught my eye and I have been meaning share it with my non-existent readers (I am assuming their non existence as a result of a lack of comments :))

But anyway, during the amaals (prayers), it was said, "If your mothers are with you today, be good to them and take every opportunity to serve them". Well said! My thoughts wandered to my own mother. In front of me, there sat a woman and her daughter. Upon hearing these words, the mother in front of me poked her daughter, indicating to her daughter to pay close attention to the pearls of wisdom being heard over the awful sound system. The daughter looked at her mom and in jest, simply rolled her eyes! I loved it! Watching the two of them reminded me of the thousand pokes and little pinches I received as a child and the many rolling eyes I dutifully gave back to my mom. The pinches and sneers shared between mothers and daughters during adolescence is the new language of love - many fail to understand this language but it exists.

This love changes into the mushy, my mom is the best kind of love only after a separation like moving out, going away to school or marriage.

I then began thinking about the presence of my mother in my life. I realized the presence of many other wonderful women in my life who took or have taken the role of mothering me alongside my own mom. These women include my grandmother, my chachis, my mother in law, my acting mom-in-laws (in Canada), the lady who I fold chaddors with at mosque....the list continues.

I want to say a special thank you to all those absolutely amazing women - I honestly believe heaven is under the feet of these wonderful women. Thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dont forget the one that made those amazing 'tumbuas" and those little round things with the meat inside ... hmmm....

lol.. :)

AS.

Fatema Fazal said...

yeaa.. those were amazing!!!