Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hump Day Dinner

It is 6:45pm on Wednesday. A table set for 15 greets me (Yes, I know. The table reservation was a little over ambitious since we only had a party of 8! Nonetheless....). Displayed on the dark wood tables are baskets filled with bread, platefuls of dates (khajuur) and feta cheese pierced with toothpicks. Lovely! Friends arrive soon after - some come laughing, others are a little shy. The time ticks slowly - it always ticks slowly when we wait. Hungry, we pore over the menus deciding what to order. Finally the food arrives. With the food, comes our sense of humour. The more we eat, the more relaxed the atmosphere gets. The more relaxed we get, the louder our laughter. This makes me wonder - can people get intoxicated from food and friends?

Anyway, when the clock struck 8:40pm, we all parted ways. Walking to the car, we make promises to meet more often. Jumping into the car, I think, For sure, I had so much fun! I can't wait for the next dinner and really, these dinners are not all jokes, we always learn from other.

THINGS WE LEARNED ON THE WEDNESDAY NIGHT DINNER
1. Double frying fries make fries crispy - Thanks Shaista :)
2. Anyday is Shahida's birthday
3. There is someone in the mosque who looks like Arif Somji - Thanks Mehnaaz
4. Hump Day is the day of the week that is hardest to get through - Thanks Sameena and Minaz for clearing that up.
5. The best way to stay awake at 6:00am is to do dishes - Sorry Shel, you are alone on that one!
6. You can make mint tea by grinding mint leaves and adding it to tea. Make sure you strain the tea before drinking - Naila, I am coming over to yours to have this.
7. Shel makes the best chocolate chip cookies.
8. Shahida makes great dessert
9. You can always count on Sameena to pull out turkey guts for a Thanksgiving dinner

We even came up with a great business plan - Having a bake sale and tupperware party side by side!

What a bargain - laughter, friends, learning and food all for the low price of $17.50.

Thanks girls for a wonderful night.

You know what I am thinking - I will plan the next dinner on my blog. This way you all have to view my blog and comment on it - lol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't realise you were taking minutes!
Thanks for organizing it.. and yes it was quite the educational outing..Look forward to the next hump day activity.

Fatema Fazal said...

LOVE IT! I was furiously taking notes down in my head as I was attacking the steak. :)