Sunday, January 21, 2007

Thinking About Blogging



Today I realized time is slipping away. When I was in haj, I made mental notes about interesting things I would love to blog about, but when I think about it, I am overwhelmed. I cannot figure out whether I should write chronologically, or to write based on significance. The problem is time. It is not the lack of it, but with every event comes a "write" time frame. I feel like my "write" time about haj is quickly coming to an end and I haven't even started writing. I am feeling pressed for time!!!

I will soon begin documenting my trip - according to importance to me. Should I run out of time, here are some things I would have loved to talk about.

1. The "khhhh" phenomenon (you know - the sound that accompanies the dispelling of phlegm - urg)
2. The paradox of value - our reverence of Janaat -ul - Baqi and little attention paid to Janaat -ul- Maula
3. The Exodus - connections I made to the India/Pakistan separation during our journey out of Mina
4. Squatting in style - my expert advise for the wanabe Hajis
5. Beyond the books - looking beyond dua and quran for spirituality - looking at my surroundings and reflecting on my journey was the best part of my trip
6. Vertical and Horizontal relationships. Bonds are created - between you and Allah (vertical relationship) and between you and your community (horizontal relationships). For me haj was all about the horizontal - creating new bonds and re-establishing and mending old friendships.
7. Rooftop spirituality - numb noses and toes did not stop us from attending the rooftop majlises led by Abbas Virji and Sheikh Amar (why isn't Abbas referred to as Sheikh)
8. Appreciations - Where should I begin?


Enjoying nearness to Allah on a quiet day :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey.. just saw Nishat's pictures... looks like an amazing trip. I'm sure you all had your share of challenges.. but I can tell from the pictures that the bonds created on this trip will hopefully last a lifetime.
by the way.. really like the hijabs you were wearing :)