Sunday, January 07, 2007

Hajities

Never has my soft mint-green comforter looked as good as it did yesterday. After wolfing down a home cooked meal (thanks mom), I jumped into my bed and embraced my comforter. Familiar scents of home greeted me. I fluffed my pillow. Hmmm..... life was good. Thoughts I had been harbouring of changing my comforter for the past few years quickly left port. I LOVE my comforter, my bed, my kitchen, my dingy, old desktop computer! I love it all. I am definitely happy to be home!

Like all the other 2006-2007 hajis, I have come down with a case of Hajities. Coined by Ruqayyah and Sidika, Hajities comes from the root word Bronchitis and it simply means having a severe cough and an uncomfortable cold. I would like to add another dimension to this term.

Hajities affects not only a haji's physical being, but his or her mental capacity as well. I awoke quite a few times last night, unaware of where I was. I guess being on the road for three weeks and staying at random "NO FRILL" hotels, overloaded tents and outdoor airport terminals would do that to you. In addition to feeling misplaced, all day long I have been expecting people to come home. I need to keep reminding myself - I no longer live with eight roommates, I can take a fifteen minute guiltless shower, zuhr and asr is 2 and 2 rakaats, I mean, 4 and 4 not 2 and 2 rakaats, and food will not be served on the mezzanine level... I have to cook again :(

Wow... getting over hajities is harder than I expected! While I am definitely glad to be home, I think I am already missing my haj family! I believe it is true what people say - "The friends you make during haj are the friends you will have for life!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!

Fatema Fazal said...

Great to be back... lets catch up -fridges on Wed?

Anonymous said...

sounds good. see you then!