Friday, January 12, 2007

Generations of Silenced Girls


I cant get over I almost did not go for the walking ziyaraat in Mecca! To think I almost went shopping - my vanity continues to surprise me!

I stood in silence for several minutes at this spot.

During the time of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), women were not held in high regard (somethings never really change). One of the cruelest practices of this time was to bury new born baby girls alive. Why? Girls were regarded as "shameful" and girls cannot carry their father name through history. I don't know... call me crazy, but if I had a father who wanted me dead, I wouldn't want to carry his name either!

Here is the graveyard where the newborn baby girls were buried alive. Let their death not go in vain. Their silence says more than my words can -

"I wasn't free", I hear them whispering in my ears. "You are, you are, you are...."

No comments: