Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A sad day for Portugal


I want to write something intelligent and interesting, but my mind is drawing a blank. Portugal is out of the World Cup 2006! How did this happen? Why did this happen? I cannot believe it. Who is to blame?

In Portugal's defense, I have to say they played one of their best games ever. They had good possession of the ball, attempted to score at numerous times, but at the end, it did not really amount to much - after all Zinade put France in the lead early on in the game.

In hockey, when playing for the Stanley Cup, the winning team and their fans change very little in their lives to ensure the winning streak stays with them. I think there were too many changes in the Portugal fanbase thereby jinxing Portugal. I mean, what other results should I have expected when supporters of Holland and supporters of England decide to change alliances? I am talking about Asif and Minaz! I blame Asif for the loss Portugal is enduring. While wearing a PORTUGAL shirt to the match (he is in Germany right now), he secretly was praying to see a goal by Henry! That's revolting!

And what infuriates me is the booing I heard for Ronaldo. That was completely uncalled for! He played a top notch game, almost scoring at the very end - dumb offside rule! The referee definitely didn't take him seriously and never called any fouls on him! Whatever!

I want to say to all the people who were not Portugal supporters to begin with, please bring your good karma with you when Germany and Portugal play on Saturday or please - do not support Portugal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correction: I did not change alliances. With not so many teams left to choose from, it was mere desperation to support a team... any team. As for Ronaldo - he deserved every Boo that he got. How low of him to try and get his Man United team mate/friend red carded. A slight push got Rooney a red card and a head butt got Figo only a Yellow Card. Life is so unfair.

Fatema Fazal said...

You know Minaz, that's the way it goes. When playing in the World Cup, it is like you don't play with a club. This is for a higher purpose - Your Country. Being a Man U fan myself, I still show no remorse for the red card that Rooney got. In regards to the head butt, the referee had no control of the game. You can't blame Figo (a star player) for the mismanagement of the referee :)