Tuesday, July 18, 2006

An experience I will treasure

If for some reason, I had to fly home tomorrow, my heart would break, but in these few days I have gained so much, it would be enough to last me (for now).

So much is happening here, I don't know where to begin. We are moving from city to city, and I am overwhelmed with the information and feelings I am experiencing. To date, Madrid has captured my heart. I went to Plaza de Mayore yesterday and I walked along the narrow, beautiful streets just taking in the beautiful sights around me. The people here are so relaxed and happy - I have so much to learn from them and their lifestyle. They are so content with the little they have. After my little adventures along the streets, I sat on a sidewalk with my two new friends and listened to some Opera. While we were listening, my eyes wandered to the architecture around me. Each building was filled with detail, each beautiful, but still so different. Colours were dancing around me - vibrant reds and greens and yellows. I never

Today we went to Avila and Salamanca. Salamanca is the first University town in Europe and perhaps the most beautiful. Queen Isabella commissioned the University of Salamanca to be built and it is magnificent. The building itself looks like a cathedral. Around the university is a beautiful courtyard with sculptures accenting each corner. I sat on the grass and just looked around me, feeling so lucky to have had this opportunity to see such a wonderful place. Around the historical university, there are plenty of universities. Students were just sitting around drinking coffee and laughing. I wanted to join them. I wanted to be a part of the beautiful establishment.

Right now, I am in Coimbra, Portugal. This is another university town, but it does not have the same splendor as Spain. The people here seem to be a little more timid, and less likely to take risks. At about 10:00pm, the streets were empty, with the exception of a little bar overlooking the river.

The funniest thing happened to me today. When we stopped for a bathroom break, there was huge line up at the ladies washroom. Maggie and I decided to use the men’s washroom instead. We kept Luis in charge. Luis, being cheeky, told me that the bathrooms were empty. When I opened the door, I saw a man in the act!! I was SO embarrassed, I just ran. We came back a few minutes later to try our luck. We managed to go to the bathrooms. When Maggie came out, she calls me out. I rush out to me met with the sight of a random man at the urinal. We have decided that we are better off waiting in line

Tomorrow I will see the shrine of Fatima. I cannot wait.

Well, until maniana...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice to see that you're having soo much fun ... did u tell the potugese that their soccer team suck?? lol... if u see Figo, tell him i said hello.

Anyhow, just wanted to tell u that i havent been having quite as much fun as you are, considering I have to wash the damn dishes and do my own laundry .... lol

oh and by the way, the room's a mess ... ahahahaha

Anyhow, everything is fine here. Cant wait to see all the pics you've taken.

luv,
Asif.

ps. please use simpler words in your next blog. :P

Fatema Fazal said...

Serves you right! Btw. the daily rates for household chores just went up b.c. now I know what I am missing out on as I stand in front of the sink, dreaming and washing. I am in Lisboa right now. I do not think I am coming back from here.

Anonymous said...

i've just hired a live in maid ..

LOL.. :P

Anonymous said...

glad to see u r having so much fun... next time we r definitely going together whilst the brothers baby sit.... what do u say!!!!!!!! tc n enjoy!!!!!! opportunities like this dont come all the time..

Shehnaaz