Friday, June 09, 2006

WIFE - Wash - Iron - Fold - Eh?

I have been noticing a trend in the conversations I have been partaking in.

Married men all seem to have the opinion the marriage has ended their freedom filled lives - RIGHT! They believe marriage has tied them down, has given them added responsibilities, and added worries. And let us not forget - constant nagging!

Married women on the other hand seem to be of the opinion that marriage has transformed their lives from a woman of leisure, style and class to woman of bleach, clorox and olive oil.

So I began thinking - something I try not to do too often. When I was engaged (ahhh... Memories of that peaceful time in my life), my then fiance, now husband, said to me, "The word, WIFE, stands for Wash, Iron, Fold and Entertain". At the time, I thought it was funniest thing I had ever heard. I bragged to my friends about my humorous husband and shared how lucky I was, to be entering into a marriage that would be filled with laughter.

Four years later, I think the joke's on me! Yes, our life is filled with giggles, chuckles and sometimes roaring laughter - but the laughter ends quickly when it comes to housework. I am the living definition of a wife - I wash, iron, fold, entertain. I cook, clean, smile and try not to nag. I, along with thousands of women, live a WIFE life believing it is the only reality we can have.

Please do not misunderstand me - I enjoy serving my family. What infuriates me is when I hear men chat about their wives and discuss how marriage changed their lives (for the worse). My question is, what changes have they made? Is it that now after marriage, they smell good, look nice, eat well, and have a well organized house? Oh my, am I expected to sympathize for these men? Am I supposed to think it is funny when a man jokes that he doesn't need a dishwasher because he has a wife? I don't think so.

I want to challenge this definition of a wife. Our lives do not have to revolve around mundane household chores. We do not need to tender our happiness to a single supplier - our husbands. Women, let us build our own identities. Let us be strong and beautiful. We will only begin to derive respect if we respect ourselves!

The next time a man tell you, "Wash, Iron, Fold, Entertain" - challenge him with "Wash - Iron - Fold -Eh?"

No comments: