Wednesday, June 07, 2006

High 24/7

Family, friends and ex- friends are just a few clicks away with the advent of Hi5.

The blissful life I led without Hi5 came to an end yesterday. I used to believe once you lost connections with old friends, they could no longer be a part of your life. My belief was my security! I enjoyed not knowing whether a friendship could be salvaged and not knowing the successes and joys of friends who had hurt me. Simply put, I enjoyed not knowing. It gave me a sense of power over my life and a certain kind of contentment.

Hi5 changed all that with just a few clicks. As I browsed through address books of random people, I was struck by the new, cool way of voyeurism. Not only can you look at the pictures and comments of the people in your address book, but you have access to a plethora of address books and pictures.

Hi5 does come with its advantages. It’s a great way of seeing the three degrees of separation between yourself, the people you know and the people they know.

While Hi5 is the thrilling new way to communicate, keep yourself safe. Be cautious of who you let into your address book, the pictures you post and the information you give. Beware of the time spend you spend browsing - remember to allocate time to living your life. Watching others live theirs is a poor compromise!

No comments: