Saturday, June 24, 2006

Oops, we did it again!!

Cancer never sleeps and neither did we!

Friday June 23, 2006 marked the night 7 friends got together and attempted to fight the battle against cancer. This wonderful night that will stay in our hearts and bring HOPE into our lives for years to come was initiated and organized by the fabulous and sensational Shelina Adbulhusein. Thank you so much Shel!

Equipped with an air mattress, warm clothes, some lawn chairs and a beautiful sign ("FRIENDS FOR LIFE" - designed by my Grade 2 students), I left my house that Friday evening and made my way to Richmond Green Park with a wonderful teacher and friend - Sameena! I was filled with feelings of apprehension, nervousness and excitedness. As we struggled with our sleeping gear onto a makeshift camping ground, I began thinking about the night ahead. I wondered if I would be able to walk the whole night (esp. because all I had consumed that day was coffee). I wondered why I hadn't put more effort into fundraising. I wondered if I would fit into the FRIENDS FOR LIFE group.

Today is Saturday. The night is over. Our walk through the night is complete. Despite my aching feet, I still wear a smile on my face. Walking for the Cancer Relay For Life has been one of the best experiences of my life.

The best part of the night was the illumination ceremony. At this time, participants who had purchased a candle for someone they loved lit their candles in that person's memory or honor. Before the ceremony, the organizers recited a beautiful poem, followed by a bagpipe memorial service. Participants were then given a chance to light their candles. A hush of silence filled the air. People gathered - together, they prayed, cried, hugged and walked in silence. As we inhalled the emotions around us, we saw a little girl (I infer she is battling cancer). She was seated on her mothers shoulders. I watched the mother and daughter walk. Then the girl asked innocently, "Mom, when I die, will you light a candle for me?". Tears filled the mother's eyes and the eyes of everyone who heard the girl. I began to think about my life and about how ungrateful I sometimes am. As we walk through life, it is so hard to remember how blessed we are. This event definitely served as that reminder.

As far as my eyes could see, I saw little flames burning in white bags. On one of the hills, candles joined together to spell the word - HOPE. What a breathtaking sight that was.

The Relay For Cancer served so many purposes for me. It reminded me to appreciate my life, my good health and family. It taught me compassion for those suffering. It gave me a new source of strength - friends. In their own way, each touched my life. I learned courage and strength Fatima; I learned the value of laughter from Shel and Taseeb; I learned that physical injuries are not roadblocks (Thanks Suk); I learned the value of perseverance from Sameena and Shaista; Very importantly, I learned how to pitch a tent!

I watched the sun rise and I surrounded by people I care about. In that moment, I felt truly blessed, and truly happy.

Please recite a Surah Fatiha for all those that have departed from us.

No comments: