Saturday, June 10, 2006

That will be $29.99

It has been suggested by my brother in law - Anis, that women should charge men for services rendered within the household. This suggestion brings with it two problems.

The first is that of the price list. What is the going rate for washing dishes, mopping, sweeping? This is what my price list might look like.

To: Asif

Re: Household Chores

As of July 2006, please note services provided within the house will have to be compensated for. The prices quoted are for daily services provided. Please provide your wife with a work log so she may document her daily services. Payment must be made on a bi-weekly basis.

Services Price
Mopping 45

Sweeping 30
Laundry (Wash and Fold) 50 - 80 (depending on load size)
Dishes 70 - 80
Cooking 110 (this is for the service - grocery needs to be
provided. Cost may increase on weekends and during peak entertainment times)
Making the bed 20
Bathroom 100
Dusting 100

Please be advised that the prices are subject to change and services not listed may have a charge.

Is this what my price list should look like?

The second and the more important problem with this suggestion is while it is my right to charge for my service, asserting my right would change the dynamics of my relationship. We would move from a loving, kind and almost happy relationship to a marriage punctuated with dollars and cents. What a waste!

The point of my complaint was not the money. Women strive to be self sufficent. The extra dollar won't change the way we feel - it will only aggravate the situation. When my husband does not pick up after HIMSELF, it disrespects me. Our house is a reflection of our relationship. When our home is unkempt, it tells me the he doesn't care about our relationship and he doesn't care about how our relationship is reflected to others! In my books, that is disrespect.

There are somethings money can't buy (our integrity)! For everything else, there is MASTERCARD!

No comments: