Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Who Gets Valentine Day Royalties?

Another commercial holiday on my calendar - Valentine's Day!

For all those who celebrate this day - Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

Now, I am not cynical and it is not that I am not loved - at least I think I am - but really, to have a day specially designed to celebrate your love? C'mon!! My problem with V. day is how commercial it has become and how it makes those who are not in relationships feel.

Until I got married, I was one of those people. I remember being really sad on one V. day and my mom (in typical Anis Fazal fashion) gave me a Quran to cheer me up... hehe.

Anyway, I was thinking about it. Did St. Valentine die for love? Well, sort of I guess. He died for the love of his religion - Christianity. He was then jailed and beheaded as as result of not converting to paganism. In his final farewell letter to the jailer's daughter, he wrote "From Your Valentine". Interesting isnt it? How many times have you seen that in a card or have signed off your card with that phrase?

So who gets royalities for this phrase - Hallmark or St. Valentine?

St. Valentine did not die for the love of cards and chocolates! Nonetheless, February 14th is the national day of LOVE. If Valentines is supposed to be a day to celebrate love - then do something kind for all sorts of people.... spread love and joy through your actions.

No comments: