Thursday, February 22, 2007

The-the-the Stammer

As I recite my few verses of Quran in the night, I am always confused about why I reread parts of an ayah, even though I know I have read it correctly the first time. It really began to annoy me, because my rereading was spoiling my flow.

I began observing my overall reading patterns. As a primary teacher, I am forced to read aloud everyday - not just read aloud, but read with theatricals.

Today, I was presented with a big book to read filled with a flurry of tiny words I did not completely understand. I began reading the book word for word - repeating parts as I read(hmmm... interesting. I do this with my Quran, I thought to myself). I did not understand what I was reading aloud. The more I read, the less I understood, the worse my reading aloud got. To save myself and my kids the grief of sitting through that awful read aloud, I stopped reading. I looked at the pictures in the book and ran my eyes quickly over the words I had just read. I got it! I picked up the book again and began reading out loud again - looking at the pictures to guide me and subsituting the words in the book for words that flowed out of my lips easily.

I began to think about my quran recitation. To describe my recitaton, it is stuttered at best - even after I practise. But then again, so is my reading in english! What gets me through in my daily english reading is my comprehension and the pictures. I cant use either crutch when reciting Quran. I dont get arabic and I cant use visual cues to guide me.

AHA!!!

I am wondering why we cant have picture Qurans? So take a story from the Quran like the story of Prophet Yunus. Write a few ayats on a page and illustrate those ayats on the next. I think it would greatly assist stammering reciters like myself and would help Muslims comprehend Quran!!

No comments: