Sunday, April 04, 2021

Finding Direction

We all have an inner compass that guides us along our journey called life. Sometimes we get lost along the way, sometimes we have stop to ask for directions but eventually, we hope we will get to our destination.  This gets me thinking about a few things:

Is there just one destination to get to? I don't think so. We are on a journey with multiple destinations and most times, we don't return to our original destination. 

Imagine for a minute, you want to go somewhere new, it's kind of far and you have kind of been there before, but not really - but today, that's where you want to go. What do you do? Well, if you are me, you ask everyone who has been on the journey to tell you about their journey, then you look on google maps for directions, traffic news, and your ETA. Then you write the directions down, incase google maps doesn't work. And when you finally head on the road, you proceed cautiously. For the first part of the journey, you turn on your music and chill out because you are familiar with the beginning route I know. As you get to the unknown roads, you sit a little straighter, turn down the music and focus quite intently. You may even stop to ask for additional directions. Then you finally get to my destination. PHEW! All this would happen if you were me.

Now, in my tangible life, after spending some time at my destination, I would head back home.  But I think when I am growing mentally and spiritually, I don't really want to go back home, because that would be regression. I might visit it and pick up something I forgot, but the new destination, my new mindset, is my new home until I'm are ready to grow again - and so starts the journey again.  In this mental journey, a clear sense of direction is really important because when google fails, and when there is construction on the road, you can only rely on yourself to navigate. 

In your new home, you may see some familiar faces, and you will definitely see new faces. 

Now, let's just say I have lived happily in my new mindset for a year and oh, it's time to move again. This time, I have go even further and I need directions. Will I call my old people for directions? Will they even know the way? Or will I look to the people who are currently around me? Well, I think I answer is obvious. Ofcourse, my current tribe (which may include people from my older tribe). But what do I do in my real life? I still ask  and hope for validation my old people, even though I know they have never been on that journey, even though I know there are other people who can guide me better but I hang on to the old because once upon a time, they guided me so well.

Today I am making a decision to sit with something when I want clarity. I will ask myself, what should I do? And I will listen to myself because I have everything within me to guide me.

No comments: