Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Count Down Is ON!

With less than 3 weeks to go, more than 150 North American Muslims are sitting at home staring at an empty suitcase. To pack or not to pack - that is the question running through our minds. My calender with none but one word - haj - seems to be going through a range of emotions very time I look at it. Sometimes it looks at me pleadingly, other times it glares at me. What am I to do? I want to begin my preparations for this most spiritual journey, but with no Saudia visas in hand, preparations almost seem like a waste of time.

So here I am - physically unprepared for haj - staring at my empty Swiss Army suitcase. How am I to get mentally prepared? I want to be excited but it seems like our visa trouble is just a preview of what awaits us.

I begin to think of Mecca and the Kaaba, and for a minute, I am at peace. Then my mind wanders to my unsewn white pilgrimage garments laying lifeless on my tailor's "sancho". My heart begins to race again.

With less than three weeks to go for haj, I am finding myself nervous, a little scared, somewhat confused and totally unprepared. Beautiful! Such emotions are definately the making of a successful trip - wouldnt you agree?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Fatema!!!

Fatema Fazal said...

thanks minaz :)