Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Basket Tells A Story

It is the first day of school. I come into school early. My nerves are getting the better of me. I look around the classrom I spent the last two week furnishing and I was filled with a sense of pride. I wondered if the new kids will like everything? I remind myself it was just random tables and chairs a few weeks ago; surely my efforts have helped create a better learning environment for the kids.

I just thought of something and snap my fingers in regret; I should have taken before and after pictures. Too late for that!

I survey my room again. The pencils are sharpened, the crayons (sorted by colour) all face the same direction, the tables are lined nicely. The blackboard is decorated with manipulatives for the kids. My smile turns into a frown when I realize this is the last time I will see it so clean. Aha! I can take before kids and after kids pictures.

Every basket in my class can tell a tale.

What story do you think these baskets are retelling?


BEFORE KIDS


AFTER KIDS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would first like to say that it was gr8 reading all your stories of your trip. Its funny the pictures of the basket reminds me of home and my life with Shehnaaz. Before kids it was all planned and in order and after kids it was just like what you see in the picture. However, the funny thing is I would never wanna switch back and go to a life without my beautiful babies.
Anis

Anonymous said...

fatema,
u should have taken pictures of our house before & after u went on vacation. heheh ...
Asif

Fatema Fazal said...

Anis, I loved the analogy of a marriage before kids and after kids. You are right - once Allah has blessed you with children, somehow all the chaos seems worth it.
Not having any of my own kids, I guess I can compare it to life before husband and after husband - the question remains - is it all worth it? Definately!