Monday, April 09, 2007

The Lost Wallet

I resort back to retelling uninteresting blurbs about my life. At this point of my life, I have no insights, political/religious views I care enough about to share.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - A lost wallet. On my way home on Wednesday after an exhilarating cycle class, I tried to fish for my wallet. My hook came up with NOTHING. I couldnt find my wallet! I was frantic and spent the first few minutes taking deep breaths in my car to calm myself.

I am thinking a few things -

1st thought - I lost my wallet at the mall I work out at. A few months ago, I lost my hijab at the gym... someone thought a two piece scarf held together with a safety pin was a good steal. Now, I lost my wallet! Are these signs? How am I to read these signs? What will be the next thing to get lost there - I sure aint losing any pounds!

2nd thought - When I lost my scarf, I thought it to be the funniest thing. I ran out the mall sheltered my by winter hood. However, when I lost my wallet, I was so upset. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Shouldn't I have been more stressed to have lost a symbol of my religion over a wallet of only materialistic importance (pointed out many times to me by Asif and my mom).

3rd thought - Having no one to listen to me complain at home, I shared my wallet story with my students at school. These 6 year olds impressed me to bits. After I shared, one of the kids put his hand up. "Ms. Fazal, I am going to look for your wallet everywhere", he said sincerely. Another kid said, "Ms. Fazal, I have a dollar to buy a snack, do you want it?". At the time, I started to laugh explaining to them that I had some money and thanked them for their kindness. As the day wore on, my thoughts went back to those kids. What a lesson in generosity and kindness I learned from that day - the day I lost my wallet!

Anis, if you are reading, I need a new wallet. Any samples??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fatema,
I read your blogs without fail. And yes I do have samples. I suggest you browse the net and find one that you really like. Send me the link and I will make you one customized.
Anis

Fatema Fazal said...

Love the wallet connections.. hehe
When we went to report the missing wallet, the lady asked us the wallet's brand name - it was too funny to reply, "Somji and Co"

Unknown said...

hey
need a new wallet too. zamena's messed up mine. so fatema, when u r browsing online, make sure u order one for me too..... same same u know........... lol
shehnaaz

Unknown said...

hey
need a new wallet too. zamena's messed up mine. so fatema, when u r browsing online, make sure u order one for me too..... same same u know........... lol
shehnaaz

Fatema Fazal said...

done - same same - one for u and one for me!!
Maamiii.. where are you??? Missing you bana... heard about the "tola" crisis... lol.. send us some pics of zameena when u can

Unknown said...

maami!!!!!!!! miss u too man!!!! when u guy coming down basi???? will try n forward some pics ASAP. manena's become so naughty now.
tc n keep in touch
shehnaaz